Thursday, April 16, 2009

Web 2.0 Wrap-up

So, the Web 2.0 learning comes to an end. I can't help but feel a little sad, yet at the same time a little proud. I definitely enjoyed this class, and I really enjoyed seeing things on the web that I had either: a). never seen before; b). took for granted.

But here, to make things easier, I'm gonna take each question as they are. Let's see here...

Q: What were your favorite discoveries or exercises on this learning journey?
A: I really loved Google Docs, Zoho, Library Thing, PicNik, and even the Wikis -- even though I was terrible at trying to figure out PBWiki. A lot of these programs and apps were things I've always wanted to use in some capacity (like photo manipulation and posting) but I didn't have the money to afford something like, say, Photoshop. Many of these tools were easy to use, easy to get to, and I was able to show it to people who didn't know about them and make myself feel smart.

Q: How has this program assisted or affected your lifelong learning goals?
A: Before this class, I never really put much thought into web-design and stuff like that. Now that I have taken this course, I'm more than eager to find out more about Web 2.0 and really see what other materials I can take from them.
It's always good to know of programs online that you can use anywhere and show to other people to help them out as well. I feel like this has added more to my rather small "net vocabulary."


Q: Were there any take-aways or unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?
A: Well, the unexpected outcome for me was jumping into Web 2.0 like this and really getting a hands-on feel for these sites and programs. I honestly did not expect this when I signed on for the course. I don't know, I guess I was expecting more indexing and banter on Boolean logic (I swear if I hear that phrase one more time...)
I didn't expect it to help me out so much that I now frequent practically EVERY site that we have discussed since the beginning.
In fact, I have actually put some serious thought into starting my own blog; which is something that, years ago, I would never have mentioned outside of a joke.


Q: What could we do differently to improve upon this program’s format or concept?
A: Nothing really. I know this was mentioned in the beginning of the class as something uncontrollable, but I would have liked to have had the computer lab AFTER the part that takes place in the classroom and not before. This is a minor annoyance, as this structure eventually grew on me. I think I'm more used to having a computer lab after a class discussion, if only because then I don't have to worry about another class coming in after us, so I can work on my stuff for a little longer.
But that's it.

Q: If we offered another discovery program like this in the future, would you again chose to participate?
A: In a heartbeat. I was not expecting to learn all that I have learned in this class. And if something similar could be offered, I would gladly take it.

***

I'm not very eloquent -- as probably evidenced by my past blog entries. And I am not very intelligent when it comes to most matters. But I did enjoy this class, and I did feel like that I had actually learned something valuable, and not just another grad credit.

I see myself really using what we learned here in order to make the internet a tool that can work for me, and not just some place where I can look at pictures of cats with bad grammar.

~KO

No comments:

Post a Comment